[mapserver-users] multiple matches in $classObj->setexpression

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Sun Apr 7 23:24:47 EDT 2002

thanks to sw and sdl, I now know how to do this (will try it out
tomorrow at work). one thing though... the documentation makes a very
cursory mention of this peculiarity without really pointing it out...

Specifically, I could find only one passing references to attribs in
shape files at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/mapfile-reference.html

> Logical expressions allow you to build fairly complex tests based on
> one or more attributes and therefore are only available with
> shapefiles. Logical expressions are delimited by parentheses
> "(expression)". Attribute names are delimited by square brackets
> "[ATTRIBUTE]". These names are case sensitive and must match the items
> in the shapefile. For example: EXPRESSION ([POPULATION] > 50000 AND
> '[LANGUAGE]' eq 'FRENCH') ... The following logical operators are
> supported : =,>,<,<=,>=,=,or,and,lt,gt,ge,le,eq. As you might expect
> this level of complexity is slower to process.

see the '[LANGUAGE]' eq 'FRENCH' bit... that escaped me completely, and
now is noticeable only because I have been educated about it.

Nonetheless, many thanks,

pk/