[mapserver-users] applets and PNG

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Apr 10 13:17:50 EDT 2002

The person who posted the message you refer to does have a version of
the
mapplet that supports PNG. He had to use a 3rd party class library for
PNG
support. I believe he will provide the code (I don't have it here).
Your other
option would be to require users to use a new version of Java. I
believe the
most recent versions support PNG natively. Of course that will require
the
use of a plugin on the client side.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Puneet Kishor <pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com> 04/09/02 05:00PM >>>
Steve,

I was looking at your mapplet code and found it does not support PNGs.
Neither does DM Soln's Rosa applet.

Searching through the list archives, I found the following message from
July
2001.

==========
I have a version of Steve's mapplet that does support PNG.  Currently,
I'm
working finding a preprocessor that will help make the PNG mapplet
code
available to everyone.

If you would like, I could forward to you the PNG libraries and
mapplet
source code.  All you would need to do is compile the source and put
all the
class files in a web accessible directory.

[snip]

> I know that the rosa applet doesn't support png map at this time.
>
> Is there any plan to include png format support to the rosa applet.
I'm
not so
> fluent in Java...
>
> I would like to use the applet, but I don't want use either of gif
(licence
> problem) or jpeg format (raster map I have don't render nice with
jpeg,
even with
> high quality settings)?
>
> Does the mapplet class support png?

could you, or someone else, shed more light on this? Is there a version
of
either of these Java applets that does work with PNGs? if not, what
would it
take to compile that support in?

Many thanks,

pk/