[mapserver-users] Re: MapServer Meeting

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Apr 22 15:11:12 EDT 2002

Sure. ! recieved 25 responses everyone of them positive (but not all could attend). Not much from the international group though, which is understandable (unfourtunately). From these messages I would guess about 25-40 people would attend with some of those being students. I don't know if that's large enough a group to warrant a meeting or not. Our mailing list has around 500 members so I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the overall response.

Attendance would definitely be impacted by budget woes around the country/world and cost was a major issue brought up in many of the responders. Note that $300 to $400 was a guess, but unless some form of support could be identified some cost would be incurred since the UMN has no budget to put this on.

Attendance would also be impacted by other events going on in the fall. These were other events in the fall that were mentioned:

  - URISA 10-26 to 10-30
  - ION GPS 9-24 to 9-27
  - MN GIS/LIS 10-2 to 10-4
  - GRASS (Italy) 9-11 to 9-13

(Wouldn't the GRASS conference be a nice one to piggyback onto.)

In terms of topics, those that commented mentioned 3 primary areas of interest:

  - future development
  - current applications (what are people up to)
  - hands on workshops

With the hands on stuff drawing the most attention. Of course that makes getting a program in place all the more difficult because much more material needs to be developed. On the bright side several folks offered to help.

What next, I don't know. The UMN ultimately will have to make the decision.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Hankley, Chip" <Chip.Hankley at GASAI.com> 04/22/02 01:04PM >>>
Steve...

What was the result of your inquiry about a MapServer meeting sometime in
the fall... do you think you could give us (the list) a preliminary progress
report / thought?

Cheers!

Chip