[mapserver-users] Wanted: Projection for the reference map

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at ikf.nlh.no
Thu Aug 1 07:25:15 EDT 2002

I can not find a possibility to describe a projection for the
Reference Map Object in the Mapserver documentation. Have I
overlooked something?

In my opinion it would be very useful and practical to be
able to use different projections for the reference map and
the main map.
This would, of course, in many cases lead to non-rectangular
outlines on the reference map, so one would have to determine
an appropriate level of detail for the outlines (from linear
interpolation between the four corner points to a smooth
rendering of the exact boundary curves). The lowest level
of detail would imply four coordinate transformations while
a high level of detail would lead to lots of coordinate
transformations.

The only effect I believe this would have on other elements
is that "EXTENT" in the reference map object would have to
be specified in the reference map coordinate system.

--
Håvard Tveite                      Phone:  +47 64948857
Department of Mapping Sciences     Fax:    +47 64948856