[mapserver-users] Point inside or outside polygon???

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Aug 1 11:29:43 EDT 2002

Jan Hartmann writes:

>Yes, I understand that it can be impossible to identify a
>unique polygon for
>a point query, both in practice and theory. In that case,
>however, I would
>prefer to have both polygons returned to me, instead of just
>one chosen at
>random. At least I know that something IS indeterminate then.

Jan

I think that this is one of those attributes of a GIS that Mapserver
doesn't necessarily try to do for 'performance' reasons, also there
may be more then 2 poylgons sharing a point further complicating
the solution.

AFAIK many GIS applications will not give a determinate answer
for a simple point in poly request either,  however they will return
a list of polygons intersected by another polygon.
  i.e. a point with area

FYI
I believe that there is work underway to include 'polygon algebra'
functionality in PostGIS which will allow you todo this kind of query
see
http://www.vividsolutions.con/jts/jtshome.htm

Cheers

Norman