[mapserver-users] Compilation issues with gdal...no solution found in archives.

Hopper nathanh at broszengineering.com
Wed Aug 7 13:33:58 EDT 2002

After running into what appears to be the usual problems: the duplicate cc
with mapscript, and now the libgdal issues, I've reached a point where I
cannot proceed any further.

Looking over the archives, I don't see any clear solution to the problem
that the CGI has with gdal.

After what appears to be a successful compilation, I get the following
problems when trying to test the CGI by running ./mapserv. I get an error of
"error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.1.1.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

Compilation was done by root. In ./configure, I specified the location of
libgdal thinking that more specificity might help. Neither the automatic
detection or the manual method has worked thus far; both gave the same
result. I ran /sbin/ldconfig -v | grep gdal and noticed the following
errors:
/sbin/ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libdb_cxx.so: No such file or directory
/sbin/ldconfig: Cannot stat /usr/lib/libgeotiff.so: No such file or
directory

I highly doubt it made any difference with respect to the above error, but I
did change the CFLAGS for i686 optimization for both mapscript and mapserv.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why this might be happening? Also, the
duplicate cc in the mapscript Makefile seems like such a common problem that
a modification to the configure script might assist a great many people. It
seems to have been a problem for at least a year. The problems I've
experienced don't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the documentation, but
perhaps I missed it. If that's the case, I apologize. I'm trying to compile
Mapserver 3.6.1 on Mandrake 8.2.

Regards,
Nathan