[mapserver-users] Mapscript and Perl CGI::MiniSvr module

m.spring at gmx.de m.spring at gmx.de
Fri Aug 9 08:52:35 EDT 2002

I am using a different approach which only makes sense if you want to

* fiddle with html more than the templates allow you
* want to have direct database coupling

So I use the mapserv executable like a traditional binary and execute
it from inside a mod_perl process. I deliver all parameters in the
environment variable QUERY_STRING and parse the output line by line,
the latter being eased by a very simple template file.

So this is a more traditional way of creating maps (but it is
extremely stable!) and not that server oriented like your approach,
but yours sounds very interesting especially because one could very
easy maintain state.

Just one warning: I am working in an administration and had to learn
that a lot of firewalls just allow port 80 and 443, so you might need
to use a special dispatcher instead of different server ports.

Markus