[mapserver-users] q. combining mapscript and PostGIS

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Mon Aug 12 20:02:28 EDT 2002

Hi, I am using Perl mapscript. I am wondering if there are any
other ways to manipulate the extent of the map object, other than
by directly accessing mapobject's rectobject. Like via a layer's
filter somehow?

I am querying postgis tables for street objects and school
district objects. I want to zoom the map object's extent to match
the bounding box of search results. I think the postgis query for
the bounding box would be like:

# select Extent(the_geom) from cityplus where stanno like '%LOMAS
BLVD%';
BOX3D(-106.670434 35.086152 0,-106.487795 35.094625 0)
(1 row)

I know I could open a DBI connection, do another query, and then
setting the extent on the mapobject's rectobj. But I don't want
to use DBI unless necessary.

Thanks,

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to