[mapserver-users] hints wanted

Marian Grigoras marian.grigoras at mchp.siemens.de
Wed Aug 21 05:00:46 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am a new user of MapServer. I managed to run the demo and made a few
easy programs by myself using the tutorial data.
I want to configure a very simple map server that uses JPG (GIF or other
image file), but I do not have the maps in shapefile format. I only need
to specify they position relative to one another, or relative to a
general coordinate system, no matter which one it is (what I mean is
that I need the map server running on a campus level, so I do not care
for global lat/lon coordinates or similar). Basically I would like to be
able to toggle between 2 maps (JPGs) according to the zoom level and do
some cropping on the selected map.
MapServer looks great, but (there had to be a BUT :-) ) unfortunately I
do not have time to invest 1 week in parsing the tutorial and the whole
documentation just to find out that MapServer cannot handle this case
(in 1 week I could write a small server by my own).
So could someone more experienced:
- at least tell me if MapServer could handle my application,
- at most :-) give some hints on the easiest way to implement this
(REFERENCE maps or something else)

Sorry if this looks trivial, but I need some information fast.
Thanks a lot.

Marian Grigoras