[mapserver-users] MapServer + Weather Data

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iitap.iastate.edu
Wed Aug 21 11:59:22 EDT 2002

Hiya!

Firstly, MapServer and PHP mapscript are just great!  I have been
attempting to get others to try out MapServer before buying commercial
closed-source products.  Anyway, on to my questions.

There are two features within mapserver that I am curious about.

1.  Gridded data.  How can gridded datasets, which Meteorologists use all
the time, be incorporated into MapServer?  Most of the datasets are in
Grib format, but can be converted to netCDF.

2.  Station METAR plots.  Anybody done this? :)  Basically, a wind barb is
plotted based on wind speed and direction.  A circle is plotted for sky
cover.  Other text information is plotted around the circle.

Thanks for the info!
  Daryl