[mapserver-users] mapserver´s new versions

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:40:14 EDT 2002

While I'll agree that it is nice to maintain backwards compatibility, I have
to throw in a vote for not stifling progress for the sake backward
compatibility.  It is often painful to go through an upgrade where
everything must be adjusted to the new version, but it’s usually only a
short-term effort.  On flip-side, applications that hold on to their legacy
underpinnings will find their ability to adjust or take advantage of
improved technologies increasing limited over time and functionality will
suffer greatly in the future…. (Arc/Info is trying desperately to catch up
to the rest of the world now).