[mapserver-users] shptree help

Eric L. Blevins eblevins at insight.rr.com
Thu Aug 22 13:33:34 EDT 2002

I've been using mapserver for about 4 weeks now....
I am wondering if using shptree would offer any performance increase for my
particular setup.

Currently I have over 3000 shape files generated from TIGER data.
The files are separated in directoreies by county and each county contains 3
shape files where
each shape file contains only the data needed to render a particular layer.

Ex:
    Directory OH/FranklinCounty   contains:
        localroads.shp
        primaryroads.shp
        secondaryroads.shp

I am using a separate tileindex for each layer.
Ex:
    localroadstile.shp
    primaryroadstile.shp
    secondaryroadstile.shp

Were running this on a Linux box with Intel hardware.

Would using shptree offer me any performance boost?
Would it be useful to do shptree on the tileindexes?
What would the correct command line options be for my particular setup?

You can see our mapserver here: http://mapserver.zhrodague.net/eblevins

Thanks all!
Eric L. Blevins