[mapserver-users] Is my understanding of MapServer function correct?

Eric Wong mapserver-users at lawong.com
Sun Aug 25 23:06:38 EDT 2002

I am a GIS newbie and wish to know if my understanding of how MapServer
works at a high-level is correct or not;  I know I probably have some of the
details wrong.

If I want to develop a "enter a zip code and i will show you the nearest
locations" application, is the following how i would go about it?  Please
let me know if I have any facts or assumptions wrong.

1) acquire street level maps of the area in question.  these are maps that
can be processed with software such as ArcView/ArcInfo/ArcMap.  the files
that MapServer could use are the .shp/.shx/.dbf files from ArcGIS.  (are x-y
geocode information of the area encoded in these files?)

2) the addresses of my locations are in a SQL database, including the x-y
geocode locations.  these geocode locations are computed by some service
given the address.

3) MapServer configuration needs to be performed which define layers and
relate them to the .shp files from step 1.

4) when user enters their zip code, the zip code is somehow converted to an
x-y geocode and the nearest locations within X miles are retreived from the
SQL database in step 2.  I assume distances can be calculated between pairs
of x-y geocodes.

5) with the retreived locations in step 4, a temporary .shp file is created
(via Perl/php/mapscript?)which has the locations pinpointed.

6) the dynamically created .shp file of step 5 is displayed over the street
map .shp files of step 1, resulting in an image showing the locations within
X miles of a user given zip code.  this final image can be zoomed in or out.

Is this how I would use MapServer for this type of application?  Do I have
most of it right?  Or am I way off?  Thanks for your help.

Eric