[mapserver-users] newbie problem running demo

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Mon Aug 26 13:34:58 EDT 2002

Welcome, and great.

> have problem running mapserver demo on Unix server. There was
> no problems
> with compilation and installation, but each time I try to run
> the demo i
> have:
>
> msLoadMap(): General error message. Undefined symbol
> "symbols/ctyhwy.gif" in
> class 0 of layer ctyrdln3_anno.
>
> Example is at: http://www.ekoprojekt.pl/itasca_koti/demo_init.html
> Where should I look for problem?

1. First, look in the documentation.
2. Second, search the message archives... searching for "symbols/ctyhwy.gif"
at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wilma/mapserver-users produced about
a bazillion hits.

the current and future builds of gd do not support gifs. Replace all gifs
with pngs and everything will work.

Hth.

To those who maintain the demo archives... could all the gifs there be
replaced with pngs anyway so this doesn't come up.

Many thanks,

pk/