[mapserver-users] Looking for suggestions...

Williams, Chris D. WILLIC10 at mail.northgrum.com
Tue Aug 27 10:34:11 EDT 2002

Hello all.  I have been playing around with MapServer for the past week and
having some problems trying to understand how all the parts fit.  Here is
what I am trying to do.

I have a single shape file that contains an outline of the world.  What I am
trying to do is use mapplet and create a query screen that I am get a
decimal lat/lon from.  I have been able to hack apart the itasca demo using
my .map file and my shape file with mapplet.  The problem I am running into
now is the zooming function doesn't seem to work right.  All it wants to do
is pan and not really zoom.  Here are some of the questions I have...

1)  What should I be defining the EXTENT value as?  I currently have it set
to -180.0 -90.0 180.0 90.0.  Is this right?
2)  Do I need to use the projection latlong?  I would think so since I want
to get lat/lon points from the image.  When I added the PROJECTION item to
my .map file, I get an error from the mapserv cgi saying: Projection library
eror: major axis or radius = 0 or not given.
3)  Is there a way to take the pixal position and convert it to a lat long
point?
4)  I have also looked at the Landview on the http://www.dnr.state.mn.us
website.  Would using the jbox class be better than mapplet?  I tried
accessing the webpage today and it seems like none of the maps are working.

I have attached the .map file and the .html files.  The shape file I am
using can be found at http://www.vdstech.com/download/world.zip.

Thanks!
Chris