[mapserver-users] help with converting tiff to a shp file

Gerald Buckmaster webmaster at buckoptimized.com
Wed Aug 28 00:58:43 EDT 2002

Greetings,

It sounds like a job for the GeoTIFF Specification.  You can use geotifcp
with the -g argument to install metadata, then use listgeo -tfw to write the
worldfile.

GeoTIFF Metadata is nothing more than a text file that looks something like
this:

Geotiff_Information:
   Version: 1
   Key_Revision: 1.0
   Tagged_Information:
      ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
         0                0                0
         -110.410032      33.2834107       0
      ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
         0.000364376663   0.000323906075   0
      End_Of_Tags.
   Keyed_Information:
      GTModelTypeGeoKey (Short,1): ModelTypeGeographic
      GTRasterTypeGeoKey (Short,1): RasterPixelIsPoint
      GTCitationGeoKey (Ascii,11): "CLARKE1866"
      GeogCitationGeoKey (Ascii,11): "GEOGRAPHIC"
      End_Of_Keys.
   End_Of_Geotiff.

I believe you would most likely set the ModelTiepointTag to (8,3)
to handle your pixel/geocoord/elevation triplets.  I've never seen
anyone use anything but 0 for the vertical.  The example given
in the link below negates the use of ModelPixelScaleTag, which
basically means clients (software) are not allowed to infer that there
is a simple linear relationship between the raster data and the
 geographic model coordinate space.  That might be a problem
with some software...someone would need to try out with Mapserver
other than me, as I am officially on vacation when this email transmits.

More details about this can be read at:
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/spec/geotiff3.html#3.2.1.

I highly recommend the entire Specification for late-night reading ;^)

Respectfully,

Gerald Buckmaster
www.imagery-analyst.com