[mapserver-users] distance search in PLSS

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Aug 28 12:08:26 EDT 2002

Ed,

Here are some more assumptions...

> From: Ed McNierney [mailto:ed at topozone.com]
..
> How accurate do you need to be?

not at all really... as long as I get a list of the contiguous trsq in all
directions... as I said, the selection would be "pass-through" (it could be
"contains" as well, but for now let's assume "pass-through"... even if it is
"contains" it doesn't have to be precise, for ex, if doing radius searches,
square qs won't fit completely inside a circle, etc.)

> The two issues I can think
> of right off are that you don't know when the current
> meridian runs out and you need to look at a new one,

yes, that is a problem, but again, let's assume that my area of interest
lies completely within one...

> and the
> fact that the grids aren't entirely regular and have many
> hole in them, especially around Indian reservations and other
> unsurveyed areas.  That is, if you start with T21, R10, S23,
> the next section to its west will be  Section 22 - IF Section
> 22 actually exists at all.

again, let's assume that I have a completely contiguous grid for my area of
interest.

fwiw, my area of interest is the Northern Illinois region, but that is
neither here nor there.

tia,

pk/