[mapserver-users] Java - Mapserver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Aug 30 15:16:43 EDT 2002

GeoTools could form the foundation of a Java server-side solution.
Remember a mapserver is just a server-side renderer. GeoTools can render
on the server just as easily on the client. That said, there would be
alot of work to do to get there, in terms of defining a mapfile-like
system of styling control, format support, etc etc etc. JaGo is a more
likely possibility for a pure-Java map server solution which is already
kind of ready-to-go, but I doubt it can touch mapserver for either speed
or quality at this point in the day. (The OpenMap guys have also
leveraged their Java toolset into a WMS server-side solution.)

P.

--
       __
      /