[mapserver-users] Re: [Fwd: Re: tcl / mapserver]

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Thu Feb 28 15:30:19 EST 2002

The best examples I have are in MapServer Workbench (msworkbench.sf.net).
I haven't had time to fully update this code for MapServer 3.5 yet, but
it's high on my todo list.  The code that's available is for MapServer 3.4.

Of the four programs in the Workbench, msexplorer.tcl probably does the
most - it opens a mapfile, renders images, queries points; msshapex.tcl
does some manipulation with shapefiles.  Review the source code to
these programs for ideas on how to program Mapscript/Tcl.

The tiny example Tcl program in
mapserver_3.5/mapscript/tcl/examples/shpinfo.tcl
illustrates how the Mapscript objects are used:

        mapscript::shapefileObj shp1 $file -1
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	object constructor     object constructor
                               name   arguments

        # shp1 will be a Mapscript shapefile object

then, invoke methods on the object:

        puts "\tnumber of features: [shp1 cget -numshapes]"
                                     ^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
                                     obj  method  arguments

In this case, the 'cget' method returns object member data.

Some return values you would get are pointers to other objects.  I build
some 'helper' procs to easily deal with them (in effect, it's like
'casting' the pointer to a certain object type):

        set rectPtr [shp1 cget -bounds]
        #rectPtr is a pointer to an object

        puts "\tbounds: ([mapscript::rectObjRef $rectPtr cget -minx] ...."
        # 'cast' the pointer as a rectObj, and invoke the cget method

SWIG actually provides a constructor to turn an object pointer (like rectPtr)
into a bona-fide object, but in many cases you just want access to the
object in order to access some memeber data, so why bother.  Plus if you
do instantiate an object reference, you'll need to manually delete it
after you're finished with it.

The SWIG generated doc file is fairly terse, but does give an idea of
what methods and member data is available for each mapfile object.

Good luck,
Tom

--
Tom Poindexter