[mapserver-users] Re: Mapscript

Rodrigo Cabral cabral at yadata.net
Sat Jan 12 08:11:04 EST 2002

Hello all,

Well, I'll try to shed some light into this discussion, regarding the SDO
part. About the shape_id, there are a few alternatives for Oracle
Spatial, but it will depend on how I will provide support for the last
functions that are missing implementation in our MapServer-SDO interface.

In Oracle Spatial I can provide a shape_id by using a "rownum" request in
the SELECT statement. Therefore, it will give me numbered ids that could be
used for uniquely identifying each record. On the other hand, it's also very
common for the user to define a column which is the unique key for the
table, namely a GID. So it would be a matter of including in the mapfile
"DATA" definition the name of the shape_id column, like this:

DATA "shape_column FROM mytable" (as it's today)
DATA "shape_column,shape_id FROM mytable" (could be implemented)

But as I mentioned recently in another email, Oracle Spatial has a good set
of functions for performing spatial queries in the database. So, for the
time being, I'm using those functions instead of going through MapServer's
interface. I have 3 very good reasons why one should choose this approach.
Please check the following URL, which is an loong email on the subject.

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0201/msg00129.html

Rod.