[mapserver-users] Developing Skins for Mapserver Apps

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jan 18 08:29:40 EST 2002

This started as a reply to Daniel's reply to Re: [mapserver-users] User
Layer Attributes Enhancement but I think a more generic discussion on
developing a standard for Mapserver Skins might be appropriate. Assuming
that some people are interested in pursuing this we could create
SkinsDevelopment area on Wiki to collaberate the effort.

I think gmap is a great example of what can be done and I appreciate
that is has been made available. While looking it over and planning my
own navigation interface I thought that it would be great for everyone
if we could make navigation interfaces like "skins." It would be really
cool of you could drop a "skin" into a directory with a map file and it
would just work! You might need to run a utility to init the "skin", but
after that it would be fully functional. There would still be a need to
customize the interface to deal with non-navigation specific stuff like
for example at the Candian Endangered Species site, but in general
building the navigation and basic query should be able to be easily
defined using a "skin" like approach and an initialization utility.
Skins could also be writen in both PHP and Perl.

To accomplish this, you would need to be able to discover what is in a
map file (doable today) and maybe via the metadata get info on what
should be exposed via the skin. And if you wanted to use an external
legend/control like gmap you would need to be able to generate the
graphics durning the initialization process. This would have to be done
in a standardized way in the map file so different skins would be able
to do the discovery.

I send the following to Steve Lime off list, but maybe I should have
sent it to the list as we may be closer than I thought: