[mapserver-users] Combine Layers of Different Unit Systems (FWD)

teb teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu
Mon Jan 21 12:41:19 EST 2002

From: "Mike Boone" <mike at boonedocks.net>
To: <mapserver-info at lists.gis.umn.edu>
Subject: Combine Layers of Different Unit Systems
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:06:21 -0500

Hi all.

I'm trying to accomplish what seems like a simple task with MapServer 3.5. I
have a shapefile made up of GPS track data, in units of degrees
(geographic?). I also have a raster USGS TIFF map which apparently has units
of meters. All I want to do is plot the trackline correctly upon the raster
map.

I don't care whether the master .map file is in meters or degrees, I just
want the output to look right.

Should I be using the PROJECTION stuff to make this work? Or is there a tool
that would convert my shapefile into meters from degrees?

(I've been fooling with the PROJECTION route, but have so far been
unsuccessful getting mapserver to work with GDAL. I keep getting the error
that it can't open shared object libgdal.1.1.so, even when that file is
readily available in /usr/local/lib)

Thanks for any help and insights!
Mike.
http://boonedocks.net/mike