[postgis] Re: [mapserver-users] Demo using PostGIS ...

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Jan 21 20:06:35 EST 2002

I've imported all the shapefiles into a postgis database called "itasca"
(imagine that :).
I'm new to postgresql, but have managed to dump out this database into some
sort of file.
Can someone please comment on the best way to dump this database, so that
others could import the demo data quickly and easily?
I'll make a tar.gz and forward it to you Steve, along with a new demo.map,
but need some help on the syntax of the pg_dump command.
Here's what I did - will it suffice?

 pg_dump -C --file=itasca_dump.sql.tar --format t -a --superuser=postgres
itasca

and here are the files it produced:

16.dat  19.dat  22.dat  25.dat  28.dat  31.dat
17.dat  20.dat  23.dat  26.dat  29.dat  restore.sql
18.dat  21.dat  24.dat  27.dat  30.dat  toc.dat

                    "Steve Lime"
                    <steve.lime at dnr.st       To:     <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>, <raanders at tincan.org>,
                    ate.mn.us>                <postgis at yahoogroups.com>
                                             cc:
                    01/18/2002 07:27         Fax to:
                    AM                       Subject:     [postgis] Re: [mapserver-users] Demo using PostGIS ...
                    Please respond to
                    postgis

It would be interesting to have a postGIS ready version of the
shapefiles used in
the itasca demo. Perhaps someone could prepare that? It could be
distributed,
along with a PostGIS version of the map file as part of the main demo.
I'd take
care of that part if the data were somehow available.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders at tincan.org> 01/17/02 08:15PM >>>
I'm bringing a new PostgreSQL testbed server online in the next few
days.  Since I can't seem to find the time to get good PostGIS data
and
learn the fun parts of mapserver I'd like to offer access to the
server
for the data for a demo using PostGIS and mapserver.  I'll learn by
copying the work of great minds.

   I'm thinking a readonly database and I may have to throttle it some
if it starts eating too much bandwidth.

This make sense and is there any interest with these caveats?

Cheers,
Rod
--
                      Let Accuracy Triumph Over Victory