[mapserver-users] Free Map Symbols

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jan 23 22:05:26 EST 2002

The coordinates you give are in the coordinate system of an image with
(0,0) being in the upper lefthand corner. Try sketching out your points
with that in mind an you'll see what I mean. Note that you'll get the
most predictable results if you generate your vector symbols on the unit
square (i.e. all coordinates between 0 and 1).

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> Pushkar Pradhan <pushkar at ERC.MsState.Edu> 01/23/02 15:49 PM >>>
Yes I would very much like to see these, since the issue of map symbols
has come up I would like to ask a question:

I am drawing a triange symbol, an example is given for this on:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/symbolset.html#line
it goes like this:
points: Signifies the start of the definition of points that make up a
vector symbol or that define the x and y radius of an ellipse
        symbol. Here's an example that defines a simple triangle vector
symbol:

             POINTS
             0 4
             2 0
             4 4
             0 4
             END
If you draw a line through these points you get an inverted triangle,
but
it draws a normal triangle. (Even if you go up from bottom to up you get
the same results)
I tried the following and got an inverted triangle!
      0 0
      1 1
      2 0
      0 0
Can anybody explain the logic behind this?
Thanks,
> Does anyone have a good resource for free cartographic map symbols
that can
> be used w/ mapserver?
>
> Kind regards,-matt

PUSHKAR S. PRADHAN