[mapserver-users] Layer on-the-fly?

Martin Giljohann mgiljohann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 24 13:56:40 EST 2002

Hi all,

I´m currently working on my diploma thesis - I want to implement a Tracking Service
which basically shall be able to show the moving positions of some people in a map.

To get the positions of the persons I use Ericsson´s MPS SDK which simulates a mobile
network and which pushes the position-data regularly. Unfortunately I don´t now how to
deal with the data: to show the moving positions of all people I´d probably have to
generate a new layer, each time the position data are pushed. After that the up-to-date
layer could be visualized by MapServer.

I´m looking for a way to draw the layer on-the-fly. I suppose that it´s not possible to do
this by simply using MapServer and MapScript? Could I use PostGIS to generate the
layer? Maybe a Web Feature Server could help to draw the layer with GML?

Thanks in advance,
Martin