[mapserver-users] RE: Combine Layers of Different Unit Systems

Mike Boone mike at boonedocks.net
Sat Jan 26 20:25:57 EST 2002

Thanks for the info. I'm still having trouble. I've given up on GDAL for
now, and like you said, reprojecting the raster part is overkill. So I have
MS 3.5 with PROJ.4 compiled in, and I have the following mapfile:

# Swamp Trip Map
NAME "SwampTrip"
EXTENT 530250.000000 3716850.000000 549000.000000 3735600.000000
UNITS METERS
SIZE 550 550
SHAPEPATH "/var/www/gis_data/"

PROJECTION
  "proj=utm"
  "datum=NAD27"
  "zone=17"
END

LAYER
  NAME "swamp"
  DATA "o33080f5.tif"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS DEFAULT
  PROJECTION
    "proj=utm"
    "datum=NAD27"
    "zone=17"
  END
END # end of layer object

LAYER
  NAME spark
  TYPE LINE
  STATUS DEFAULT
  DATA spark/spark
  PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
    "datum=WGS84"
  END
  CLASS
    COLOR 255 0 0
  END # end of class object
END # end of layer object

END # end of map file

The raster file is a USGS TIFF image of the region. It is geotiff encoded.

The 'spark' shapefile was made by downloading a trackline into my Garmin 12
GPS, using Waypoint+ to extract it, and then wayp2shp program to make a
shapefile out of it. It is latitude/longitude data, using the WGS84 datum.

Running shp2img on this mapfile produces the following message:
msProjectRect(): some points failed to reproject, doing internal sampling.

The PNG image produced shows the raster file properly but the trackline is
nowhere to be seen. I run a similar mapfile in a web interface where I zoom
out and I never see the trackline.

Any ideas? Do my projection settings look correct?

In the meantime, I used Photoshop and manually fit my trackline. Here's what
I'm after in MapServer (minus the labels):
http://boonedocks.net/travel/scarolina/images/spark_2001_map_lg.jpg

Thanks for your help. MapServer is a very useful tool.

Mike Boone.