[mapserver-users] Question on linking external info

Richard Greenwood rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Fri Jun 14 09:53:17 EDT 2002

The TEMPLATE clause in your query can function in one of two ways: it can
specify a file or a URL. If you specify a file, mapserver will go thru the
file and replace variables. If you specify a URL, mapserver will forward
it. You could do something like TEMPLATE http://someserver.com/[ID].html
and mapserver would fill in the ID for you. Or you could go TEMPLATE
http://someserver.com/scriptedPage.php?id=[ID] Again, mapserver fills in
the ID and the script renders the page. Template URLs only would on single
item queries.

Rich

At 10:34 AM 6/13/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I recently started looking into MapServer, and have MapServer 3.6/PostGIS
>running. Very nice !
>
>I was looking at the Recreation Compass at
>http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html and was wondering how they
>implemented the external info when clicking on certain features in the
>map.
>
>For example, on clicking one of the pink "Scientific & Natural Areas" I
>get a new browser window with Information/photos etc about "Lost River
>Peatland
>SNA" ... generally speaking, what is needed to achieve this ?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated
>
>Regards and Thanks
>
>Arif Saleem

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS