[mapserver-users] trouble with TIFs

Kent S Ridl kridl at cs.und.edu
Sat Jun 15 19:04:07 EDT 2002

Hey all!

Sorry this isn't a mapserver-specific question, but this is the best place
I could think of for help.

Does anyone out there know about any issues regarding tiffs (color
and greyscale) and any of the web browsers' FTP capabilities out there?
Or do you perhaps know where I could research the issues further?  I've
looked just about everywhere I can think of, but to no avail.

Specifically, we have most of our problems with very large, greyscale tifs
locking up IE when initiating a file x-fer (all smaller images and large
color images have worked just fine so far).  We've had similar but mixed
results with various Windoze Netscape versions; some behave exactly like
IE, but some won't allow any x-fers.  The Linux boxes seem alright,
however (as always!).

The only workaround I can think of is to write a PHP function to use for
downloading our images rather than the browser's FTP, but that pretty much
seems like re-inventing the wheel to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Kent Ridl