[mapserver-users] Find Nearest ?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 18 16:58:52 EDT 2002

There are 2 options:

 - if post-code is a polygon you could select all features (across
multiple layers) within that polygon.

 - do a point query. In this case you use the tolerance/toleranceunits
values in each layer definition to define acceptable values based on the
type of features. For example you might want to set 15 miles for
hospitals, but 100 miles for doctors. Then when you do the point query
it will find all features within distances specified by layer tolerances
to that point. So, how do you get the point? Well, you can to a lookup
outside of the MapServer and pass the resulting point in a query string
or you could do an itemquery and seed the point query that way.

Does this help?

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "keith" <keef_keef at hotmail.com> 06/17/01 01:24PM >>>
Hi,

I have installed Mapserver 3.6 Windows version and have managed to get
the demo map working but before i start trying to put my own maps into
the application can someone tell me if it's possible to do a search by
zip code (post-code in UK) to search for points on the map.

The reason i need to this is that i am trying to developing a web
service that will allow users to enter their post-code and search for
Doctors, Hospitals etc based on a search radius from their home
post-code. I know this is possible using MapXtream but would like to
find a cheaper / free product.

Thanks

Keith.