[mapserver-users] installing problem

Hao Ding hdi12 at it.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jun 23 23:14:46 EDT 2002

I downloaded mapserver 3.6.0 and configured it to support OGC WMS server using

mapserver$ ./configure --with-proj=$HOME/local

The proj.4 was installed in the $HOME/local.  After compiling with 'make'

mapserver$ make

I got the 'mapserv' and tested it,

mapserver$ ./mapserv
This script can only be used to decode form results and
should be initiated as a CGI process via a httpd server.

So far, everything was well, but when I installed 'mpserv' to
$HOME/apache2/cgi-bin/ and accessed the URL "localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv", I got
Server Error 500.

If I only configured the mapserver source code and compiled it using:
mapserver$ ./configure
mapserver$ make

and retested, the output was "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is
set, but empty.", it was going well.

Can anyone explain what is the problem and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!
Hao