[mapserver-users] perl mapscript

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 24 17:17:54 EDT 2002

As far as perl mapscript logging goes, here is
a list of the tricks I use:

$ENV{MS_ERRORFILE} = "/var/log/mapserver.log";      # map engine error log

near the top of the perl mapscript code... before
you do your instantiate<sp> your map object.
This is an environment variable:  MS_ERRORFILE
for the shell, or execution instance which catches
all of the errors/warning that occur within mapserver
and sends them to the filespec defined.  This one is
the *most* useful log for debugging mapfile errors,
index problems, and mapserver internals, etc.

also in the mapfile, I setup a WEB object like this:

WEB
  log "/var/log/mapserver_access.log
END

you could probably setup that variable in mapscript as well,
but I have always put it in the mapfile.  It records a set
of variables similar to the apache access log for each
mapserver execution.  Most useful for tracking/logging
mapserv requests/hits/parameters/extents/layers info.

typically, when I am debugging my perl mapscript, I refer to
the apache logs in /etc/httpd/logs/access_log and error_log
where the stdout and stderr stuff goes.  With the combination
of these logfiles, I catch pretty much everything needed to
debug.  If you mapscript blows up or you get a broken images,
just tail these files and you will see the perl error message
embedded in the access_log.

I am not familiar with the -w runtime though... I will give it
a try and see what it does.

Later dudes,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)