[mapserver-users] mapserver 3.6.0 will not compile

David Savolainen dsavolainen at visi.com
Tue Jun 25 16:51:16 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I am new to mapserver and this list, so maybe I am missing something
fundamental.  I downloaded mapserver-3.6.0 but could not compile it.  I
seem to have successfully installed GD, PROJ.4, LibWWW, LibTIFF,
LibGeoTIFF, LibJPEG, OGR, GDAL, pdflib, and PostgreSQL.  As far as I can
tell, I have mapserver configured to use all these libraries.  I have
not configured in PHP as I have yet to resolve the regex issue on my
machine.  When I try to compile mapserver, I get the following output:

[david at localhost mapserver-3.6.0]$ make
gcc -c -O2  -Wall -DIGNORE_MISSING_DATA  -DUSE_EPPL -DUSE_PROJ
-DUSE_PROJ_API_H -DUSE_WMS   -DUSE_TIFF -DUSE_JPEG -DUSE_GD_PNG
-DUSE_GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP -DUSE_GD_FT -DUSE_PDF  -DUSE_OGR -DUSE_GDAL
-DUSE_POSTGIS   -I/usr/include  -I/usr/local/lib
-I/usr/local/src/gdal-1.1.7/ogr/ogrsf_frmts
-I/usr/local/src/gdal-1.1.7/ogr -I/usr/local/src/gdal-1.1.7/ogr/../port
-I   maptemplate.c -o maptemplate.o
gcc-2.96: No input files
make: *** [maptemplate.o] Error 1
[david at localhost mapserver-3.6.0]$

When I examine the Makefile, I see the line:
OBJS= maptemplate.o mapbits.o maphash.o mapshape.o mapxbase.o
mapparser.o maplexer.o maptree.o mapsearch.o mapstring.o mapsymbol.o
mapfile.o maplegend.o maputil.o mapscale.o mapquery.o maplabel.o
maperror.o mapprimitive.o mapproject.o mapraster.o mapsde.o mapogr.o
mappostgis.o maplayer.o mapresample.o mapwms.o mapwmslayer.o
maporaclespatial.o mapgml.o mapprojhack.o mapthread.o $(EPPL_OBJ)
$(REGEX_OBJ) $(PDF_OBJ)

It appears to me that most of these object files don't have any input
files defined.  Is this my problem?  How can it be fixed?

Also, the beginning of the Makefile has the line:
HEADER_INSTALL=/usr/local/include/mapserver-3.5/
Shouldn't that be ~/mapserver-3.6/?

I would appreciate any assistance.  Thanks!

David Savolainen