[mapserver-users] First time users: black output from mapserver 3.6.0 using itasca demo dataset

David Turover dturover at student.santarosa.edu
Wed Jun 26 11:14:48 EDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Harahap, Zuki wrote:

> I have installed mapserver 3.6.0 and itasca demo dataset. Installation seems OK. But when I looked the result via browser (mozilla, konqueror, IE) all I got in MapServer Demo Interface page is a black map with some feature on its right side (refresh/query, browse map, query feature, and so on). I could click on the map and the mapserv perform an action. However, the result is still same, nothing there, only black.

Are you getting blank images, or is no image showing up at all? If there
is no image, it could be an issue with the paths in your map file and html
templates. Make sure that they are exactly correct, and check your server
log for 404s looking for images (a clear sign that a file path might be
in error).

If you think it is a GIF/PNG issue, you can configure the demo.map file to
make it output PNGs using the "IMAGETYPE png" directive in the beginning
(global) section of the file. There's a good reference to the mapfile
commands at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc36/mapfile-reference.html

You shouldn't need to recompile, but if nothing else works it may be
worth a shot. I hope you get it to work without too much trouble.