[mapserver-users] MapScript -> flash output

Enrique Motilla emotilla at ipicyt.edu.mx
Wed May 1 23:13:34 EDT 2002

Hello,

My name is Enrique, I would like to implement a Flash (from Macromedia)
output to the MapScript from a php script, probably using a library such as
ming or freemovie. I think there are two ways to do it, either get the
Layer, Shape, Line and Point Objects within a PHP script (which by the way I
have no clue -apart from the point object- of how to get it) and from those
objects generate the map output as an interactive animation (SWF file). A
second option which would be faster and more reliable would be to make an
additional Drawing function using the ming library within the mapServer, but
so far I have no experience with the internals of MapServer and would
appreciate feedback in people willing to do this.

The goal of doing this is just to enhance the mapping experience by panning,
zooming and so using the flexibility of flash (so far I have made a map to
zoom and pan with no HTML refresh, and XML-RPC connections, but now I would
like to use MapServer as the platform in the backend).

if you want to see an excellent example of mapping using this output take a
look into: www.geofactory.com
ming -> tool for generating SWF files from a php script:
http://opaque.net/ming/index.html

Hence, if anyone interested in giving a boost to the output of the MapServer
either from MapScripting or directly from inside MapServer code, then it
would be great. I'd be glad to share my experience as ActionScript
programmer to make this an very nice way to interact with MapServer.

Kindest regards from the sunny Mexico,

----
Enrique Motilla Moreno, MSc. Log.
emotilla at ipicyt.edu.mx
Departamento de Matemáticas Aplicadas y Sistemas Computacionales,
Instituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica, A.C.
Av. Venustiano Carranza #2425-A
Col. Lomas, C.P. 78210
San Luis Potosi, S.L.P.
MEXICO