[mapserver-users] Thousands of layers?

James Jefferson jjeffers at deskmedia.com
Thu May 2 11:47:57 EDT 2002

Hello everyone,

I've been using mapserver for about a year now and one of the problems I've
struggled with is making a detailed map of the United States - down to the
street level.

I have Shapefiles generated from the 1997 TIGER, broken down by county. I've
noticed in the mapserver documentation that there is a limit of 50 layers per
mapfile (incidentally, the define in map.h is set to 100). There are a few
thousand counties in the US, and consquently I think I need a approximately
20,000 shapefiles to represent the different layers for each county.

If I recompile mapserver with MS_MAXLAYERS set higher, how will that affect
performance? Looking at source it appears that the MS_MAXLAYERS is just used
to allocate memory for each layer. How does mapserver decide what maps to
load? I'm assuming it uses the bounding boxes associated with each shapefile
to determine what file to load? If so, are those read each time mapserver is
invoxed, or can it have a index file?

Is anybody else using mapserver for this scale? Advice? Am I on the right
track at all?

Thanks,

-James Jefferson
Winona, Minnesota