[mapserver-users] Using Mapserver to generate higher resolution maps

David Kriske David_Kriske at Hilton.com
Thu May 2 17:54:58 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am using PHP Mapscript3.6 for PHP 4.1.2 to generate 8.5 x 11 PDF documents
that can then be printed on a high resolution color printer and included in
reports.  I notice that the mapserverengine produces images at screen resolution
of 72 dpi, but heard mention on the mailing list that this can be changed in the
code.  My questions are:

1), would printing a 300 dpi image rather than 72 dpi extend the rendering time
considerably,

2) wouldit be practical to add an argument to the map-draw() function in
mapscript(actually PHP mapscript) to specify output dpi

3) if not, would it be possible to load a separate mapscriptdllin my phppage for
rendering PDF?srather than viewing maps

4) wouldit be difficult for someone to compile a separate windows binary with
this functionality (mapserver3.6 for php4.1.2).  I am not very versed in
compiling stuff in MS Visual C.

Thank you for your input!

David

David L. Kriske