[mapserver-users] Possible to let the user measure distances and areas?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 3 07:50:44 EDT 2002

Peter,

I don't think the current Rosa or mapplet applets support this
functionality, but if any of our Java programmers (hint, hint, wink,
nudge) where inclined to add it that would be cool functionality to
have. You would have to extend the applet interface to include some
knowledge about the projection to get accurate computations. At smaller
scales you can probably make some assumptions that make the calculations
simplier by assuming that the points are on a flat plain and not on the
curvature of the earth.

-Steve W.