[mapserver-users] raster creation & use

Joe Bussell joe at otsys.com
Fri May 3 15:11:10 EDT 2002

Greetings,
    The main goal here is to speed up map production for our site by
precomputing everything that we can.  We have map data for the area that
we are interested, and maps generated on the fly from the source data
are produced quite nicely.  The trouble is that it is heinously slow to
render all the street map stuff, which we then paint on top of.  The
plan was to pregenerate a set of tiles for use as a raster layer, thus
speeding production of the maps.

   The tiled layers do not display properly.  I believe that the issue
is primarily one of shift.  As the level increases, the shift becomes
better.  Lower levels produce shifts South about 0.5 degree.

   My projection statement in the map file which drives the generation
of these tiles is the same as where I use it:
PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
END

   I have tested the site as you suggested which has led me to believe
that the layers are shifted down, more so for the lower levels of zoom
(in my world that means zoomed way out, maximum area coverage).

Cordially,

Joe Bussell
On Time Systems