[mapserver-users] MapServer and 2000

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu May 9 14:04:14 EDT 2002

Eric -

I have developed a commercial MapServer site (www.mapcard.com) for a customer and I'm hosting that site on a Windows 2000 system.  It manages and serves a couple of terabytes of raster and vector data sets covering the entire US, performs well, supports lots of users, and has not had a MapServer failure or been rebooted since the system went live in production in mid-December.  "Crappy" isn't an adjective I usually think of in connection with that system.

I also run MapServer on a Linux system internally.  The MapServer CGI app is pretty platform-neutral (although there are some data types available only on some systems due to implementation/vendor support limitations) and doesn't much care.  Systems management and administrative issues (IMHO) far outweigh feature/function issues - use the system you know!

If you have specific plans or requirements for your application, let us know and maybe we can give you more detailed info.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com