[mapserver-users] MapServer and 2000

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu May 9 15:40:17 EDT 2002

> >> I have developed a commercial MapServer site
> (www.mapcard.com) for a customer and I'm hosting that site on
> a Windows 2000 system.
> It manages and serves a couple of terabytes of raster and
> vector data sets covering the entire US, performs well,
> supports lots of
> users, and has not had a MapServer failure or been rebooted
> since the system went live in production in mid-December.  "Crappy"
> isn't an adjective I usually think of in connection with that
> system.<<
>
> You've constructed the world's most powerful mapping engine, pretty
> cool! Thanks for the response. I'll plug forward with 2000/IIS..

 that said, there is no reason you shouldn't plug forward with *nix/Apache,
etc.

Right said Ed... "go with what you know" unless other considerations such as
cost of licensing software, etc. come in the way, or you want to use a
technology that works on one platform but not on another (such as ASP on
Win, or Perl/Mapscript on *nix). Every IIS instance requires a Win server
(well, not truly true but mostly true).

size of data is only one part of the equation. Rate of hits is another. You
could have 10 terabytes of data with one hit per month... so big whoopdedoo.
Or you could have 300 Mb of data with 100,000 hits a day... uh oh!
Hard-disks, data optimization, number of servers, all play a role.

Additionally, you can also plug forward with 2000/Apache... that is a nice
mongrel combo that I work with at times.

pk/