[mapserver-users] WMS Layer Ordering

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri May 17 16:19:04 EDT 2002

What is the algorithm which determines the relationship between layer
ordering in the map file and the layer ordering in the WMS capabilities?
They do not appear to match up 1:1. This is not an unimportant problem,
since the layer order passed in the GetMap request seems to be respected
by the renderer (so if I say LAYERS=roads,lakes my water features will
be rendered on top of my roads features). So if I read my layers out of
GetCapabilities, and then apply those layers in a GetMap in exactly the
same order I get them, the result may be quite different from the result
if I did the same query using the mapserver interface instead of the WMS
interface.

Thanks,
Paul

--