[mapserver-users] query points from database

Van Ulden, Joost jvanulde at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri May 17 17:30:00 EDT 2002

We need to query certain points from a database dynamically and in a
concurrent user environment.  Meaning we cannot use shapefiles or dynamic
mapfiles.  Can mapserver control the visiblility of spatial objects within a
layer?  I don't think it can, so we definitely need to go the database
route.  How can this work?

-----Original Message-----
From: Homme Zwaagstra [mailto:hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 9:18 AM
To: jvanulde at nrcan.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] query points from database

Joost,

Glad to hear you're getting there! Regarding querying of points, I think you
could do it in
two ways:

1. Query/select the points based on one or more attributes as you extract
them from the
database.
2. Instead of immediately plotting the points to an image, create a
temporary shapefile
with them and add that shapefile to the layer you want to query. You can
then use
mapserver's standard querying features to query that layer.

You could mix and match these methods if you needed to.

Homme.