[mapserver-users] WMS Layer Ordering

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue May 21 11:56:10 EDT 2002

The behavior is as you describe. So there is a rhyme and a reason to it!
However, I would propose an alternate model which allows more
cartographic control:

- The placement of groups in the WMS capabilities should be based on the
location of the first layer declared in the group.

So (abbreviatedly), a mapfile which does this:

LAYER water
LAYER roads6m (roads)
LAYER cities
LAYER roads2m (roads)
LAYER roads25k (roads)
LAYER airports

Would come out as this in WMS:

<Layer>
  <Layer water></Layer>
  <Layer roads>
    <Layer roads6m></Layer>
    <Layer roads2m></Layer>
    <Layer roads25k></Layer>
  </Layer>
  <Layer cities></Layer>
  <Layer airports></Layer>
</Layer>

This way the mapfile writer retains control over the rendering order of
things. As it stands, it is impossible to place an ungrouped layer on
top of a grouped one.

P.

--
      __