[mapserver-users] Support for SVG vector output ?

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue May 21 14:07:42 EDT 2002

> ERTZ Olivier wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I noticed that mapserver architecture is going to support vector
> output :
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/wilma/mapserver-users/0205/msg00231.html
> Architecture changes to support vector output, including
> implementations for SWF, PDF and GML.
> Many members on this list mentionned their strong interest in SVG as
> vector output, including myself, that's why I'm surprised not to see
> SVG in the list.
> I hope it's a non-exhaustive list of implementations. SVG should be
> part of this list. No ?
>
> Olivier ERTZ

Once things are in place, it will be much easier for someone to jump in
and add SVG.  So no this is not an exhaustive list if you look at the
mid/long term, but the plan for the short term (i.e. between now and end
of summer) includes only PDF, SWF and GML.  It's the same that happened
when the vector input part of MapServer was reworked to support SDE and
OGR... others like Oracle and PostGIS came only later even if they were
also very important.

Why PDF, SWF and GML and not SVG?  PDF was already implemented by Jamie
Wall and will simply be retrofitted in the new architecture, and SWF and
GML are required/funded by some of our current projects.  Basic GML
support was already implemented by Steve, so SWF is really the only new
one.

Of course if/when someone is interested in funding SVG then we'll be
happy to add it.  It may also end up being added by another developer
before we even get to it since everything will be in place to do it.

Best Regards,
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca