[mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

Tom.Kralidis at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca Tom.Kralidis at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca
Tue May 21 20:24:08 EDT 2002

ymapfile.map&request=getcapabilties

> This will return a nice XML summary of your map file.  Let me
> know how it
> goes Frank.
> :)
> Tyler
>

> |---------+--------------------------------------->
> |         |           "C F"                       |
> |         |           <gis_consultant at hotmail.com>|
> |         |           Sent by:                    |
> |         |           owner-mapserver-users at lists.|
> |         |           gis.umn.edu                 |
> |         |                                       |
> |         |                                       |
> |         |           05/21/2002 02:27 PM         |
> |         |                                       |
> |---------+--------------------------------------->

> -----------------------------------------------------------------|
>   |       To:       mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
>   |       cc:
>   |       Fax to:
>   |       Subject:  [mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

> -----------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> Maybe I just don't know MapServer well enough, but I'm having trouble
> getting all the information I need to get out of the mapfile with the
> restrictions imposed by template file architecture.  In other
> words, I want
>
> to get at specific elements in the mapfile from the client which is
> typically done by placing tokens in template files.
> It seems that this and many other problems I encounter could
> be solved by
> making the .map file format XML based.  I searched the
> archives and have
> seen quite a bit of discussion on it but I didn't a conclusion.  The
> benefit
> for me being that I could download and easily parse and retrieve any
> information I needed using XPath.  Is this being considered
> at all?  If so,
>
> I'd be happy to contribute to the discussion and development
> (wherever I
> could, but I don't know the C language yet) if that would help.  A
> combination of an XML mapfile, XSLT templates and XPath
> extremely powerful
> compared the current template files.  If I'm not making any
> sense or anyone
>
> would like more specifics on what that architecture would be
> like, I'd be
> happy to elaborate... once I nail it down :)

Making a GetCapabilities request will not return MapServer specifics, such
as classes, symbolization, templates and the like.

I think an XML-based mapfile is certainly nice, in a self-describing way,
and is easily parseable compared to what currently is in MapServer, but
constructing an XML mapfile may be a heartache, especially manually.  Also,
for me, it's the simplicity of the mapfile which makes MapServer such an
attractive package.

Tom Kralidis
Systems Scientist
Canada Centre for Remote Sensing