[mapserver-users] XML mapfile?

Roberto Micarelli mi.ro at iol.it
Fri May 24 13:23:29 EDT 2002

On Friday 24 May 2002 05:36 pm, you wrote:
> I do see a potential issue with finding an XML parser though.  Does it have
> to be open source or just unconditionally free?  I may have made too many
> assumptions on that.  Me, coming from the M$ and Java world, XML parsers
> are free and plentiful..... I don't know about C.  I'll do some research.

I've nor authority neither responsability on what decisions are taken with
respect to MapServer external dependencies. What I know is that generally, by
the point of view of a open source system, one doesn't accept strict
dependencies with non o.s. tools. This could instead be more acceptable if
you design a your own application, making use of MapScript/MapServer-API on
one side, and of whatever you like on the other. I probably agree with the
solution n.1 suggested by Frank (the non-embedded support). At least, this
would help in minimizing technological risks until a totally affordable tool
is available.

Regards.