[mapserver-users] PHP CGI

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon May 27 18:35:35 EDT 2002

Cam Watson wrote:

> I was wondering if the next version of MapServer (3.6) will still
> require PHP as a cgi or not.  I've seen on this list that it's due out
> very soon.  It would be a big incentive to install it if I didn't have
> to run in CGI mode any longer.  Thanks in Advance.

Yes, 3.6 will still require PHP as a CGI unfortunately.  We all wish
that those problems with the PHP module were gone, but these are tricky
problems that will take time to fix and it seems that clients are more
interested in paying for new features than for fixing something for
which there is already a good workaround... however I'm sure we'll get
to that at some point.

But if you ask for incentives to upgrade then I could mention that PHP
4.1.x and 4.2.x are supported only in 3.6, that 3.6 includes a number of
fixes and new features, and finally that it will be much easier to get
support via the list if you use the latest version.  :)

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca