GCC 3.x Compilation (was Re: [mapserver-users] Compile problems)

Sean Gillies snchrstnglls at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 12:58:33 EDT 2002

Tom,

I'm new to gcc 3.x and only am introduced to it
because the Mac OS X C/C++ compiler is based on gcc
 3.1. If you can use gcc 2.9.x I would recommend it
because compilation of mapserver and the requisite
libs is difficult with gcc 3.x.  The developers are
not using gcc 3.x (as far as I can tell), so it's
easier if you stay with them.

I had a helluva time with GDAL until I realized that
I had to explicitly link with g++, and I suspect that
if any of your object files or libs have C++ code
you'll have to link using g++.

I suggest that you make a backup copy of your
Mapserver
Makefile. Open the Makefile and go to the lines where
the Mapserver apps are compiled.  There will be lines
like these:

  $(CC) -o shp2img shp2img.o ...

Replace $(CC) with $(CXX), and make sure that CXX is
defined as c++ or g++ at some lesser line number in
the Makefile (this should be true by default).

Cheers!
Sean