[mapserver-users] Query by attributes with PHP/MapScript

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Wed Oct 2 15:25:47 EDT 2002

Chip, Puneet, Stephen,

thanks a lot for your help. I will try your examples.

I agree with you that a real database would be best. Especially with
something available like PostGIS what I appreciate very much. It's only that
sometimes it's less feasible to store all data in a database. Shapefiles are
easier to maintain, no database administrator required.

I tried attribute queries on shapefiles with Mapserver CGI and a combination
of filter and class definition using a dummy query layer. The speed was not
too bad (2 sec for a shapefile with 60000 records on a reasonable fast PC).

Armin