[mapserver-users] Re: How to merge the segments of a long street

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Oct 22 08:08:41 EDT 2002

On 21 Oct 2002 at 21:33, Zhang, William wrote:

> Steve
>
> I remember you answered similar question on the mapserver mailing
> list. But the mailing list server are down these days. Could you
> kindly give me some hint again? The question is: with tiger data, a
> long street may be divided into many small segments. The street label
> will not show until one segment is longer enough to fit the label.
> What should I do to merge those segments so that the label of the long
> street will show at high zoom level?

No, the street label will show is there is room to show it without it
colliding with other labels. This is by design. You can limit the
number of labels by using MINDISTANCE <value> which will prevent the
same label from being placed on the map if it is already on the map
and within <value> distance from another. This will declutter your
map and allow other labels to be placed on it.

You don't need to change your data, just your map file. This is much
easier :)

-Steve